If you would like to learn more about our landscape design, patio design to lawn care services, please contact Greenwell Landscaping of Rochester, NY at 585-576-3892 or email us.
Mulching is one of the most important ways to maintain healthy landscape plants. A mulch is any material applied to the soil surface for protection or improvement of the area covered. Mulching is really nature’s idea.
When applied correctly, mulch has several beneficial effects on plants and soil.
- Mulch prevents loss of water from the soil by evaporation.
- Mulch reduces the growth of weeds, when the mulch material itself is weed-free and applied deeply enough to prevent weed germination or to smother existing weeds.
- Mulch keeps the soil cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, thus maintaining a more even soil temperature.
- Mulch prevents soil erosion and keeps soil-borne diseases from splashing up onto the plants.
- Mulch can improve the soil structure. As the mulch decays, the material becomes topsoil. Decaying mulch also adds nutrients to the soil.
- Mulch helps prevent soil compaction.
- Mulch can add beauty to the landscape by providing a cover of uniform color and interesting texture to the surface.
- Mulched plants have more roots than plants that are not mulched, because mulched plants will produce additional roots in the mulch that surrounds them.
If you would like to learn more about our landscape design, patio design to lawn care services, please contact Greenwell Landscaping at 585-576-3892. Thanks for choosing Greenwell Landscaping of Rochester, NY.